It was born in Florence in 2008 and since several years it collaborated with institutions, art centers, school of arts and Universities in Italy and abroad.
The project is organized in:
- LO SCHERMO DELL’ARTE FILM FESTIVAL an annual appointment held in Florence to present artists’ films, documentaries about contemporary art, video installations and encounters with artists, authors and curators.
- VISIO European Programme on Artists’ Moving Images an European workshop for artists under 35, working with moving images, selected with an open call in collaboration with some of the most important European Art Academies, Schools and Artist Residencies. Since 2012 it is held every year in Florence within the context of the Festival.
- FEATURE EXPANDED European Art Film Strategies a six months training program for visual artists that are developing and producing their first feature film. In partnership with HOME Manchester and supported by Creative Europe/MEDIA.
- PROJECTS a series of films screenings addressed to institutions, contemporary art museums, universities and schools of art.
- PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION of artists’ films in the Italian network.
- ARCHIVE on line archive of films presented during the various editions of the Festival with credits and synopsis.
Among the many artists hosted by the Festival:
Doug Aitken, Yuri Ancarani, Gabriele Basilico, Pierre Bismuth, Libia Castro, Phil Collins, Rä di Martino, Omer Fast, Dani Gal, Yervant Gianikian e Angela Ricci Lucchi,Peter Greenaway, Joseph Grima, Assaf Gruber, Joana Hadjithomas, Marine Hugonnier, Runa Islam, Alfredo Jaar, Isaac Julien, Hassan Khan, Mark Lewis, Jumana Manna, Diego Marcon, Sarah Morris, Deimantas Narkevicius, Shirin Neshat, Melik Ohanian, Rosalind Nashashibi, Anjalika Sagar/The Otolith Group, Adrian Paci, Martial Raysse, Roee Rosen, Simon Starling, Hito Steyerl, Hiroshi Sugimoto, Luca Trevisani, Phillip Warnell, Jane e Louise Wilson, Zapruder.
Lo schermo dell’arte Film Festival receives support from MIBAC – Direzione Generale per Il Cinema, Regione Toscana, Comune di Firenze, La Compagnia / progetto realizzato nell’ambito del Programma Sensi Contemporanei Toscana per il Cinema, and Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio, Firenze.
Programmer and Festival Producer
Coordinator VISIO European Programme on Artists’ Moving Images
Luigi da Rin
Promotion and relations with schools
Social Media Manager