21 – 26 June 2017, HOME, Manchester
July – October online sessions
15 – 19 November 2017, Lo schermo dell’arte Film Festival, Florence
directed by Leonardo Bigazzi and Sarah Perks
Lo schermo dell’arte and HOME, Manchester’s brand new cross-art centre, present the ground-breaking first European intensive training programme for visual artists developing and producing their first feature film.
FEATURE EXPANDED 2017 AWARDS
La giuria di Feature Expanded 2017, composta da Marietta von Hausswolff von Baumgarten, Heinz Peter Schwerfel e Yorgos Tsourgianis, ha assegnato i quattro premi:
Feature Expanded Distribution Award a Janis Rafa con il film Kala-a-zar scelto per “la capacità della regista di comunicare l’importanza di restare umani in un momento storico sempre più caratterizzato dall’apatia”.
Feature Expanded Development Award a Assaf Gruber per lavorare alla sceneggiatura del suo film The Conspicuos Part, scelto dalla giuria per contribuire al suo sviluppo “creando uno spazio in cui differenti idee possano essere valutate per realizzare un’esperienza teatrale unica che racchiuda le tre differenti trame sviluppate dall’artista”.
ottod’Ame Film Award a Paulin Curnier Jardin per lo sviluppo del suo film $eba$tiano Blu che “come la sua autrice, è un lavoro pieno di vitalità, passione ed eccitazione visiva, in cui emerge il bisogno insaziabile di attenzione di un bellissimo giovane uomo, i suoi pensieri ossessivi e le sue paure sulle donne, che lo conducono in un percorso tormentato e fatale”.
SUB-TI Award a Axel Straschnoy per il suo film Argentine from Helsinki che “affronta il tema dell’alienazione attraverso il linguaggio e le sfide culturali di Horacio, un argentino trasferitosi in Finlandia, che, quando la sua esistenza sta per crollare, si trova costretto a decidere chi è e cosa vuole dalla vita.”
Feature Expanded is the first ever training programme designed to support visual artists who want to make a full-length film. The project is developed by Lo schermo dell’arte Film Festival and HOME and directed by Leonardo Bigazzi and Sarah Perks.
Feature Expanded provides a uniquely tailored set of activities responding to the important trend of visual artists pairing new vision and strong innovation with feature film production. This new generation of filmmakers expands the terrain of the traditional audio-visual industry, attracting new audiences, partnerships and structures with a different take on feature film.
Across two locations and a six-month duration, this programme is a combination of masterclasses, case studies, workshops, screenings, one-to-one meetings and pitching sessions for directors developing their first feature film. Participants acquire essential new skills and expertise to advance their early stage feature film projects for theatrical distribution and exhibition.
Feature Expanded takes the form of two residential workshops in Manchester and Florence, between these the participants work on project development, respond to set tasks and use online consultancy on the specific topics. After this, participants are directed to collaborations with relevant festivals, markets and other partners. Training activity is peer-led by industry experts working currently in this field with several feature film credits. The course covers script development, non-script rsed production, project pitching, co-commissioning and financing, working with actors and participants, distribution and exhibition involving digital platforms.
Feature Expanded is supported by the Creative Europe – MEDIA programme.
The six-month Feature Expanded programme combines:
• A week intensive residential at HOME in Manchester that mixes masterclasses, case studies, workshops, networking opportunities and screenings alongside individual tutorials and group work.
• Online tutorials with the Feature Expanded experts.
• A four day residential at Lo schermo dell’arte Film Festival in Florence to attend the festival and continue tutorials before pitching films to a jury and a selected group of industry professionals.
• Caroline Bourgeois, curator Pinault Collection
• Heinz Peter Schwerfel, filmmaker, Producer and director of Kino der Kunst Festival (Munich)
• Yorgos Tsourgiannis, producer
• Feature Expanded Distribution Award: One of the 12 film projects is selected for the FEx Distribution Award. The award provides one of the film projects with a theatrical distribution in the UK and Ireland by HOME Artist Film and in Italy by Lo schermo dell’arte.
• Feature Expanded Development Award. The award provides one participant with a 4-day intensive residency in Stockholm to work with script consultant Marietta von Hausswolff von Baumgarten on the script development of his/hers film project.
• Ottod’Ame Film Award a research cash prize.
• SUB-TI Award consisting in the subtitles in one European language for the awarded film, offered by SUB-TI.
Each of the twelve participants is assigned an experienced producer as a tutor who will work with them in developing their Film project throughout the Programme both on a one-to-one basis and in groups of four artists.
Feature Expanded Tutors are: Jacqui Davies, Lisa Marie Russo and Leif Magne Tang